Friday, December 11, 2009

- Visit Stonehenge

Stonehenge is something that always interested me, mainly because the logistics of the henge boggle the mind.
For instance, 30 of the stones are believed to have been brought in from a quarry 40km away. At the time of construction, each stone was around 4.1 meters high, 2.1 meters wide and weighed around 25 tons. There is also another center circle of stones which weigh up to 50 tons each.

We can only speculate as to how the Brits managed to construct the Stonehenge, arranging the stones not only vertically but also my some unknown force of skill, being able to balance these great hulks horizontally above the vertical tiers.

Its not even like we know why they did this! Of course everyone has their theories; pagan ritual, magnetic bullshit and of course, aliens. This is what makes Stonehenge so amazing. Its sheer size, its construction, the reasoning behind it is all mind boggling.


I must admit, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get very close to the stones but I was not disappointed. Considering the fact that for many years tourists would chip off a piece of stone as a souvenir, a rope separating our greedy fingers from this treasure is an easy sacrifice to make.

I should note however that the rope is taken down for events such as winter and summer solstice. I am yet to decide where I will spend winter solstice 2012 (very important) so perhaps Stonehenge needs another visit.

Visit Stonehenge - Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment